Biography - Peter Mitchell
- MSc. (Distinction) Applied Microbiology & Biotechnology (Food) - Wolverhampton University, England.
- BSc. (Hons) Physiology and Biochemistry - Reading University, England
- Post-Graduate Certificate in Education (Distinction) Further Education; Science - Wolverhampton Polytechnic
Work and Employment
- Current position: Since 2003, owner and Managing Director of Mitchell F&D Ltd - a business that provides expert services to the food and drink sector. Incorporates a specialist and unique service for the Cider Industry.
- Head of Core Food & Drink - A Centre of Excellence for the Cider, Food & Drink Industry. Based at Pershore Group of Colleges, Worcestershire, England.
- Head of The Hindlip Centre for Cider, Food & Drink Industries. Based at Hindlip, Worcestershire, England.
- Head of Cider Production and Food Technology, Worcestershire College of Agriculture, Worcester, England.
Experience and Work in the Field of Food Quality Assurance, HACCP and Hazard Analysis:
Practical Work & Experience:
- Development and management of HACCP and food QA systems for Hindlip Cider (from 1993) and Avonbank juices, Ciders and Perries (from 2000)
- Development and implementation of HACCP and food QA systems for a number of food & drink sector business clients.
- Practical laboratory work and management in general chemical analysis, food microbiology and chemistry, and food sensory assessment since 1979.
- Organisation and operation of consumer panels for product evaluation
Consultant and Trainer:
- UK Food and Drink Industry Consultant, auditor and trainer for food hygiene control, HACCP, Hazard Analysis, food Quality Assurance systems, food microbiology, food analysis and sensory assessment and since 1984.
Research and Development:
- “Smart” website-based software programmes for use by businesses to develop and implement HACCP and Hazard Analysis systems for use in food and drink manufacture (2000-2003).
- For the UK Food Standards Agency: The Identification, Analysis and Potential Remedy of the Problems Experienced by SMEs in Complying with Food Law requirements (2001-2003).
- Design, development, establishment and overall management of food quality testing laboratories (microbiology, chemistry & organoleptic) at the Hindlip Centre (1997) and Core Food & Drink (1999)
Specialist Experience & Work Associated with Cider & Perry Production:
- Commenced cider making in 1983.
- Founder, part owner and manager of Hindlip Cider from 1993 - Commercial production and packaging of ciders and perries.
- Founder and manager of Avonbank Ciders & Perries from 2000 to 2002 - based at Core Food & Drink, Pershore, England
- Competitions and Awards: Overall Champion - Hereford Cider Museum International Cider Competition, 1998. CAMRA Pomona Award, 1998. Numerous 1st prize/Gold and Silver awards in UK national & international cider competitions from 1996 to 2006
Consultant and Trainer
- Lecturer in Cider Production. Includes development & management of web-based Internet “learning tools”
- Cider Industry consultant: UK, Ireland, Europe, USA, Canada, China
Research and Development:
- Malo-lactic fermentation; characteristics, effects and control of Saccharomycodes ludwigii, pasteurisation of cider; cross-flow filtration of cider; yeast selection for cider making; general production methods; mechanisms of support for small & medium scale producers.
Other Work, Activities & Background
- Lead developer and founder-chairman of the Three Counties Cider & Perry Association, England. Currently Chairman and Technical Representative.
- Member of the National Association of Cider Makers' (NACM) Executive Committee.
- Led development for the Guild of Craft Cider Makers Quality Mark scheme
- A lead developer & founder member of the Slow Food Three Counties Perry Presidium
- Involved in political lobbying for the Cider Industry at regional and national level in the UK
- Developer and lead tutor and examiner for the Cider Industry's vocational qualification: The National Association of Cider Makers' Foundation Certificate in Cider & Perry Appreciation.
- Author: “Out of the Orchard - into the glass”. The official textbook for the NACM's Foundation Certificate in Cider & Perry Appreciation, 2005, NACM & Mitchell F & D Limited. ISBN 0-9551033-0-4. “Cider Making Technology”, 2004, China Light Industry Press. ISBN 7-5019-4268-4/TS.2524. “Malo-Lactic Fermentation in Cider Production: The Application of Selected Lactic Acid Bacteria Starter Cultures to Induce and Carry Out a Malo-Lactic Fermentation in Cider”. 1996. MSc. Thesis, University of Wolverhampton.
- Nationally (UK) and internationally recognised “Industry Champion”
- Through Taste & Explore, has operated a range of cider tours, short courses and workshops, tutored tastings and other events for the general public and corporate clients.